Sunday, December 10, 2006

Do you have a role model?

I thought it would be interesting to hear what people have to say about role models. Do you have one, who is he/she, what part do they play in your life, etc...

I was chatting with Adam on Skype the other day, and I said something about my role model. Now, I never previously in my life had a role model, esp. not a celebrity, but I came to realize this year that I have found a role model.

My role model is my boss, Chris Mariette, at the Aztec Hotel in Bristol. He is not just a role model, but a valued friend. He's the most motivated and dedicated person I know. He followed and accomplished the big dreams he had even though his circumstances was anything but easy. He has REAL passion for his job and life, something you sadly don't see in enough people these days. Even with the horrible hours he works and the fact that he has three young kids and a wife to keep him busy away from work, he always manages to keep a (sincere) smile on his face and always have something positive to say to someone. He really cares about people. This year he was my pillar of strength, supporting me while my friends and family were far away. He is always ready to be a sympathetic listener, advice giver and shoulder to cry on. And I know he really believes in me and my dreams. We had endless discussions about our (very similar) passions in life, including catering, people, music and photography. I learnt so much from him during this year; how your attitude determines your own happiness, how to be passionate about your job and give your everything, and how to be an 'actor' on the stage of life (even when your heart might be crying inside). Although there are a lot of situations and people that played an important part in my life during my time in England and had some kind of effect in my life, he was and always will be the most significant.

No comments: