Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My most eventful off day in a looooong time...

Sunday was my only off day last week. Ryan and I decided to go and do a bit of Christmas shopping. So after I slept about 5 hours (because I can't fall asleep at 'normal' times these days) he woke me up at 12 and we set off to the Filton Abbey Wood Retail Park. I bought a few Christmas presents and a load of Christmas cards, and started looking for an outfit for our annual staff party in January, but was unable to find anything I liked even though (or maybe because) the Christmas specials are currently all over the place. And then I got bored because Ryan buys more clothes than any female I know, and takes a long time! ;-)

So very hungry (I didn't have anything to eat yet) and in desperate need of a cup of coffee, we headed to the Bradley Stoke Pub close to our house (we fondly call it the 'Sadley Broke') got ourselfs a pint and ordered a meal. I couldn't even finish half of my steak, mainly because I ate way too much garlic bread. Then I got an invite to go for coffee at my new SA friends who live closeby, so I first went to Tesco to buy a few vital things, went home to drop it off, and then spent an hour chatting in my own beloved language with people who are the same as me (we all know the rednecks are a bit weird!). I lost track of the time and got a call from Rodwill who was waiting on the bus stop for me, because a group of us from work decided to go ice skating. Goodness knows why they decided to only meet up at the icerink at 8:30, but oh well. So we spent a cold and wet half hour waiting for the bus, and then another 45mins on a bus full of loud teenage girls going downtown for the night. Now, I must confess that for some reason I NEVER EVER went ice skating before, so I was quite nervous. Got on the ice, and had a few tips from Tony (the cute Irish guy) and he took me on my first round. Then I was left on my own and had to get the hang of it quickly. And hey, I have to say I was pretty good!! Only stayed near the side for about 15mins and then managed to slowly but surely skate around the rink. Didn't try too much speed though, and constantly had to dodge the pros wizzing past me. I only fell twice (when I tried to go too fast) and therefore have a bruised butt today. And muscles in agony!

Well, we stayed there for about two hours and I was ready to go home, but everybody was heading for Bristol's nightlife and they said I'm leaving soon, I shoudn't be so anti-social. So we started out at the Australian pub Walkabout, had a drink or two and then headed for Syndicate. Walking in the rain to get there, I must add. In Syndicate we found all the other people that didn't go ice skating. So we were happily drinking and dancing (and for once I actually enjoyed it, maybe because of the stress of the last few weeks that I just let go then) and rapidly getting sloshed. We were the talk of the hotel today, as a lot of us in our drunken states hit it off with our collegues... uhm... including me... So therefore I got a nice snog from a polish guy called Kacper... uhmmmmm yes, I blame the alcohol.

One of our friends, Toni, joined us after work, around midnight. Two hours later she was lying paralized on the bathroom floor because she got a spiked drink from a strange guy. Our night suddenly went crazy. The bouncer had to carry her outside and we called an ambulance. Somehow her state and the fact that everybody tried to help and thought they knew better than the others, some of these supposidly good friends started screaming and cursing eachother. The ambulance arrived and suddenly everybody was very eager to bundle into the closest taxi and head home. I then offered to go with her to the hospital. If she had to stay overnight I would have had to get a cab back home alone (very expensive!) or if not she had someone with her to take her home. By the time the ambulance left everybody had disappeared, not worrying about what happened to me or Toni. By half two we reached the hospital and they told me to wait in the reception area, they will call me when I can see her. 45 Minutes later I was still waiting and when I finally saw someone again at reception, asked them what was going on. They said very matter-of-factly I can go through now and see her...just to find out they told HER that nobody was there for her! They put her on a drip and said when it was finished we can go home. So there I sat, dead tired and the drunkest I've been in months, waiting for Toni to be sent home. We finally got out around five, and got a taxi to take us to my house, as she couldn't go to her home alone. Managed to get in bed around six.

I was supposed to start work at 12, but you can imagine what I felt like when I woke up at 11. So Toni insisted to call our boss and explain that I was the only one who stayed with her and she won't allow me to work a 12 hour shift in my state. Thank goodness for that!

This Sunday didn't turn out exatly as chill as I wanted it to, but it sure was eventful and very memorable... Sure is different than just relaxing at home on an off day!!!

No comments: